Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Do I Judge?

Stress.  How do you relieve it? Time in prayer? Reading your Bible? Talking to friends?  Here lately, I have been relieving stress by doing a lot of praying and reading. I have been reading Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa TerKeurst.  Lysa's work with Proverbs 31 ministries has been a great blessing in my life. Her books are "quick reads" with deep meanings.

While reading today, I came across an important point that I feel all women (and most men if they're honest) struggle with:  judging others.  Now, I know what you're thinking:  I don't judge others. I don't talk about anyone.  Well, careful with those thoughts!

Lysa brings to light that talking about others is not the only form of judging.  Seeing a child having a temper tantrum and thinking, "Well, that child should be disciplined more.  That mother needs to do [insert disciplinary method here]."  These thoughts are judgmental also.

Our words are important.  We should use them to build up others rather than tearing them down. Instead of judging the mother having a difficult time, offer her assistance. Instead of talking about that co-worker that "gets under your skin", offer them a smile.  Use your words for Jesus.  Don't let your words be used against Him.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment