Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Craving Godly Consistency in Life's Irregularities

Routine.  Order.  Consistency.  I have a "hankering" for, a craving for, a desire to possess these characteristics in my daily life.  They are necessary for my sanity to remain intact, and essential to the well-being of all those around me.  If any of these fall through, Lord help those who are unfortunate enough to be around me when they do!

My Type-A personality leaves little room for irregularities; however, life doesn't always work out quite that way.  I am a mother and a middle school teacher.  Irregularities seem to be popping up everywhere these days.  It's as if the Lord has designed these quirky irregularities to come into my life to teach me something.  Perhaps that is true--because they certainly have!

Looking at the irregularities that have occurred in my life (at least in the past 12 months), I can definitely see God's hand in every one of them.  In the initial facing of these, I became greatly discouraged.  Greatly discouraged.  Discouraged to the point of giving up a time or two.  It was in those times that He spoke to me and said, "Danielle, I am your consistency.  I am the only consistent thing in your life.  Lean on me.  Depend on me. I am."

It is beyond difficult for me to depend on anyone or anything.  This is just the way that I am wired.  God, however, requires that I lean on Him.

 1 Peter 5:7 says, "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." 

Proverbs 3:5 says, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

I will be the first to admit that leaning on God is difficult for me.  It is not really a trust issue--I trust Him completely.  I have managed, throughout my life, to create this false sense of dependency on myself.  I have always felt like I could control any situation that comes my way.  If something was wrong, I would fix it myself.  If I was having a bad day, I would try to fix it by praying and eating chocolate (another blog post for another day).  If I was feeling depressed, I could be encouraged by scripture or go out and buy myself some new earrings or a venti latte.  If I was sad, I could watch a funny movie or read an inspiring book.  These "fixes" are temporary and inconsistent.  What I crave is Godly consistency--the kind of consistency that never fails!

When you really think about it, human consistency is an oxymoron.  Humans are not consistent!  We fail.  We falter.  We disappoint.  Godly consistency, on the other hand is the only true consistency there is.  He never fails.  He never falters.  He never disappoints.

Lamentations 3:22 says, "It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not."

Allow Godly consistency to rule your life.  Hand it all over to Him.  I close today with lyrics from Kristian Stanfill's song, "One Thing Remains."

Higher than the mountains
That I face
Stronger than the power
Of the grave
Constant in the trial and the change
One thing remains



Your love never fails
It never gives up
It never runs out on me

Your love.

In death, in life
I'm confident and covered
By the power of Your great love
My debt is paid
There's nothing that can separate
My heart from Your great love

No comments:

Post a Comment