Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Being Authentic

These past few days, my mind keeps going back to the term "authentic."  The term itself can have many different meanings, depending on the context in which it is used.  She has an authentic Dooney and Bourke bag.  Those jeans are the authentic brand we were looking for.  The architecture has an authentic feel to it.  What about using the word authentic to describe ourselves?  How authentic are you?

These questions have triggered a whirlwind of thoughts within my own mind lately.  I have begun questioning my own authenticity.  Now, I am not saying I am fake.  I despise "fakeness."  If you know me well at all, then you know that what you see is what you get.  I am a weirdo--you know, one of those "English types."  Those people that diagram sentences in their head, and have autocorrect built into their brain.  I like to talk.  I enjoy church. I love my family.  I crave reading books--all kinds of books.  I get a kick out of inside jokes, laughing, and educational banter. 

Being your own individual is all well and good, but the question remains, "Am I authentic?"  Do I allow others to think that I've got it all together, that my life is perfect, and that I don't need anyone's help?  The truth is, I don't have it all together, my life isn't perfect, and I do need help from others.  If we were all honest with ourselves, we would all admit that life is not a bed of roses or a walk through the park. 

So, what is keeping us from being authentic?  What is holding us back from being real and no longer pretending?  Is it pride?  Fear of rejection?  Fear of being judged or called names?  Fear of self-loathing? 

The thing holding me back was (and still is) the fear of being judged.  I am and have always been afraid of being judged.  What will people think if my hair is out of place?  What will they say if my children misbehave?  If my car isn't spotless?  If I am not the perfect wife, mother, coworker, or friend?  What will people think?

While it is important to do all things to the best of your ability, it is not important that you be perfect at everything!  That would wear anyone out.  Life is not a competition.  It is not a game.  It is about building those important relationships with your family and friends.  The important thing is that you are real--authentic--in your day-to-day life and in dealing with people.

What's holding you back today?  Overcome it, go out, and be real.  Be brave. Be authentic.  After all, you are the only you there is and ever will be!

“The privilege of a lifetime is to become who you truly are.” ~C.G. Jung 

“Nothing is more attractive than being your authentic self!” ~Dawn Gluskin

No comments:

Post a Comment